Each October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month in Portland and the like. It is important to teach children about breast cancer awareness and the importance of checkups and what you can do to stay healthy. There are many craft projects that you can do with kids or teens to help promote breast cancer awareness and still support the event. Here are some of the many crafts that Portland kids are doing.
1. Make Ribbons- Everyone knows that the pink ribbon is for breast cancer awareness. Many Portland schools are making ribbons and selling them for $1 apiece. The profits are being donated to the Susan G. Kolman Foundation.
2. Beaded Pink Ribbon Key Chains- These are simple crafts that any age can do. Allow each of the kids to string pink pony beads on a piece of plastic string. Attach it to the key ring and you have a breast cancer awareness keychain that you can put on your house keys.
3. “I Walk For” T-Shirts- Almost everyone knows of someone that has passed on because of breast cancer or even someone that currently has breast cancer as it is the most common form of cancer out there. Each year, there are several races in the Portland area that are to support breast cancer awareness. Everyone knows someone that they walk for; therefore, display it proudly on your race shirt. On a pink shirt, write the name(s) of all those that you are participating in the event for.
4. Scarves- Since October is starting to get cold again; it is nearing the time of Portlanders needing their scarves. Whether you knit, crochet or simply make fleece scarves for friends and family, consider making the next one pink. If you can find a print that has pink ribbons on it, even better.
5. Scrapbooking- If you know someone that passed from breast cancer, dedicate a page in your scrapbook of them using pink papers, ribbon designs and other things such as pictures of events you may have participated in for them.
6. Hurray for Boobies- Sometimes you have to be a little crass about things to get through to guys. Create “hurray for boobies’ posters, bracelets and t-shirts and sell them for an appropriate price while donating the profits to breast cancer awareness.
7. Bra Purses- Fashion is crazy in the Portland area, but if you really want to show your support, create a purse out of an old bra you aren’t using. Not only will it be a fashion statement that everyone will notice, you will also support the cause handsomely.
Previously posted on examiner.com