With Thanksgiving fast approaching, a number of interesting free iPhone/iPad apps with a Thanksgiving theme are popping up on the Apple App Store. I have had a chance to review most of them and the following are five apps you might want to consider using during one of our nation’s biggest holidays. All these following apps can be used on either your iPhone or iPad or both devices and is not in any order of personal preference. There are Thanksgiving game apps also available on the App Store website but some of these entice you to pay a fee for a better version and I don’t mention any of them in the list below.
1) Thanksgiving by TIITF Software is an interesting app that features a number of Thanksgiving facts and trivia, upon launching the app and then shaking or sliding across the screen of your iPhone or iPad to see the remaing others. To give you an idea of what you will see with this app, some of the facts displayed are as follows: “The annual Macy’s Day Parade tradition began in the 1920s” and “The heaviest turkey ever raised was 86 pounds, about the size of a large dog”. This might be a useful app to have around before or after the Thanksgiving meal to use as a conversation piece.
2) Chow Thanksgiving Dinner Coach by CBS Interactive pretty much replaces the traditional cookbook in that it gives you recipes for some of the more traditional dishes you might expect to have for your Thanksgiving meal such as roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. This handy app will also create a shopping list items you will need to purchase in order to prepare each recipe.
3) Thanksgiving Jokes by Dustin Kirk gives you an assortment of corny Thanksgiving jokes that is OK to use for the entire family. One of the jokes you will find on this app is “What key has legs and can’t open doors?” And by swiping down the screen of your smart device from top to bottom, the answer is “A turkey!” Another example is “If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?” Answer: “Pilgrims!”
4) Thanksgiving Photo Cards by With Gusto is an app where you can insert one of your personal photos into a background with a Thanksgiving theme. This app appears to be especially geared towards kids but parents might find this a fun way to show off their children. One of the examples of this app is inserting a photo of you that depicts you in a pilgrim’s hat and outfit.
5) 1,000+ Thanksgiving Wallpapers by Floor Girls is just an iPhone app but this app might be helpful if you really need to get into the holiday spirit by inserting a Thanksgiving background on your iPhone instead of the standard wallpapers such as the Mona Lisa or photo of a flower.