Here is my outline of seven steps to take to fix the world that we live in. These must be applied in order or they will not work.
- 1. Fix yourself: Self-control is the most basic form of government. It may also be the hardest one to master. Please do all diligence to implement this step prior to going on to the next.
“Who art thou that judgest another man’s servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.” Romans 14:4
We each must stand on our own and give account to God for the life we live. Let’s not meddle in our brother, sister or fellow-citizen’s affairs until we have settled this first step.
- 2. Fix your family: The family is the smallest form of community with the greatest impact on society. Raise honest hard working law abiding children with a firm value system and a clear knowledge of right and wrong, and you will have impacted society at large. The family is the only institution ordained by God at creation. The old adage is correct; “The hand that rocks the cradle, rules the world.”
“Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honor unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.” 1 Peter 3:7
“That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,: Titus 2:4
“Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. — And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.” Ephesians 6:1 & 4
I selected a bible verse for husbands, wives, children and parents. Pick the one that applies to you, and do not try to enforce the principle on the others. For example, men; you have enough work on your plate to keep you busy with loving and honoring your wife, that you really do not have time to enforce the verse intended for the women. We are not the police for the other members of our family, but if we do our part to the best of our ability, then we will lead by example. This is a concept that would go a long way on the national scene as well.
- 3. Fix your community: Only after some level of success at number one and two should we venture outside our front door to try this one, but try we must. We must engage our neighbors, our co-workers, our family and our friends. We must be involved in our city council business, our county government, our precincts, and especially; we must vote!
“Owe no man anything, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.” Romans 13:8
“Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2
- 4. Fix your local schools: With the cooperation of other families who have had some success (none are perfect) at numbers 1-3, we must endeavor to fix our failing schools. The federal government will never have the perspective, the wisdom, the love for our children, or the resources that you and I and other parents working together have. The government will never succeed at this. We must remove this task from the hands of the government and give it back to those to whom God gave the charge: Parents.
“And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.” Deuteronomy 6:5-7
The responsibility to teach children lies directly at the feet of parents, not the government.
- 5. Fix your State: Let’s start by insisting that the federal government restore the 10th amendment. All the powers not specifically given to the federal government in the constitution are reserved for the individual states and THE PEOPLE.
We need to restore that which is broken. That is we need to insist that our government revert back to governing according to the constitution and not according to the social welfare driven vote buying corruption that we currently have.
“So the wall was finished in the twenty and fifth day of the month Elul, in fifty and two days. And it came to pass, that when all our enemies heard thereof, and all the heathen that were about us saw these things, they were much cast down in their own eyes: for they perceived that this work was wrought of our God:” Nehemiah 6:15-16
Rebuild that which is broken.
- 6. Fix our country: Notice in my plan this starts with the individual…not the congress or the president or the courts. If individuals were self-governed there would be less and less need for external governing. And if more people practiced items numbered 1-3, we might be able to raise up some candidates who were willing and able to accomplish numbers 4-6 with some integrity.
“And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you.” Joel 2:25
God is a God who restores that which has been eaten up. He can do so for our country as well.
- 7. Let LIBERTY have it’s complete work. Let FREEDOM run it’s course. The world will gaze in amazement at what liberty can accomplish. They might imitate it. They will probably beg for it. We will be offered money and riches if we would export it. If we applied it according to the steps above the rest of the world would be beating down our door for us to teach them how to do this, but first we must live as the example, the “Shining City on the Hill”.
Remember; these must be done in order. To get the order reversed is to invite tyranny. If the individual cannot accomplish items 1-3 in their own lives then that leaves the door open for a government to step into our private lives outside of its ordained role and put its nose where it does not belong.
If an elected official cannot in his own life, family and community be found faithful to accomplish the first three steps, then why would we trust them with steps 4-7? Would we want him or her running the state or federal government? These principles should be a test of every candidate running for office at every level…but first they must be the acid test of our own lives.
Liberty is the fuel that enables this process, in fact liberty is the only resource needed to accomplish this, if done in the right order. If, on the other hand, the individual is not taking care of himself first, then there is little that they can do to help their neighbor. If the individual is tending to his responsibilities and living his life freely within the law then they will be able to fix their family, community, school, state, etc. A responsible law abiding citizenry does not need to be policed or baby-sat by an over-reaching government. Give a man or a woman true freedom and let self-government bear its fruit.
“Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.” Galatians 5:1
It has occurred to me that some who read this may object to the overt Christian and religious context of this article. But that is where liberty comes in. I believe these principles transcend religion. And following the principles of liberty, I am free to implement this plan with a biblical religious motive and you are free not to. You may not have that same motive, but I am sure that you can see how this plan will work. And I hope you would be willing to protect my exercise of my first amendment rights, just as I would do for you as well. I know many non-religious people who exercise self-control, and are raising good responsible children, etc. You do not need to be religious to see that this plan will work. And that is the rub…it does take work.
Please chime in; if you have a better plan. But if it involves me giving up my freedom to the state, count me out, show me a better way, or tell me why you would be opposed to this process. If you think it is a good process, then it is time to implement it. Perhaps it can be improved, and I am open to hear of any improvement. But we must be about implementing it in order to save this country before it is too late. Will you join me?