The NFL is full of great games on a weekly basis. The beauty of the NFL is that there are only 16 games (for now) and each game matters. The schedule for the current year is broken down by a couple of factors. 1. You always play your divisional games twice. Example – AFC west teams play each other twice. Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers. 6 total games.
2. You will play an inter-conference division such as the AFC west playing all the teams in the AFC North such as the Patriots, Jets, Bills, and Dolphins. 4 games.
3. You will play a cross-conference division such as the NFC north while playing all the teams which includes the Bears, Vikings, Packers, and Lions. 4 games.
4. Then you play a team that finished with the same divisional standing that you finished with from the previous year. If your team was first place, you play another first place team. Example – Colts were first place AFC South and Pittsburgh was 1st in the AFC North. You do this for 2 different divisions. 2 games.
Saying all of this… I have looked at not only the current record, but scores, schedule, and point spread. Here are the toughest teams in the NFL ranked from 1-16. Let me know if you disagree.
From the bottom to the top.
16. Tennessee Titans – (4-5) The Tennessee Titans are hard to scout. You never know what team you are going to play against. The super boring team that doesn’t scare you but could beat you, or the super boring team that wouldn’t show up to their own funeral. Either way, they bore me and have no chance of going to the playoffs. Its not their fault, no wait it is. Dysfunctional is dysfunctional and it takes a while to fix.
15. San Diego Chargers – (4-5) They have tons of talent but cant find a “W” right now. It is weird but they might actually win the division.
14. Oakland Raiders -(5-4) even though Oakland just beat San Diego. The rest of the season will be a tough one for the inconsistent Raiders.
13. Buffalo Bills (5-4) The Bills started off strong but have been on the downslide ever since. Sometimes the schedule pays dividends early, but breaks you in half late. This is what is happening now.
12. Dallas Cowboys (5-4) Ok are they America’s team or not? When they are America’s team they are much lower on the list. When they are the Tony Ohno’s… they are where they are, a team a game above .500.
11.Detroit Lions (6-3) The Lions were the surprise through the first 5 games but then they are 1-3 after that. The schedule is catching up with them and so is the fact that they really are not as good as they can be. If they do the last 3rd of the schedule halfway as good as the first they might not make the playoffs. Even with a 5-0 start, 10 wins might not get them in.
10.Cincinati Bengals(6-3) shhh. Look. Over there in Ohio. No, not in Cleveland. We dont have time to joke around. Shhh. look. Its the Cincinati Bengals. They are playing quietly, toughly, and best of all very smart football. Can they qualify for the playoffs though? Baltimore probably will say no.
9. Chicago Bears (6-3) – Here is the prediction. Put your hands inside of the freezer for about an hour. Next to your hands put a football in there as well. Then have someone throw the ball to you from about 20 yards away and see if you can catch it. Well, that is how the ball is going to feel in the next month or so for Jay Cutler’s receivers. He has a rocket arm but that wont help much in the cold weather. Mike Ditka understood how to play Chicago style football. DEFENSE first and run the ball 2nd. Run the ball 3rd, and more defense again. Ohh ok i forgot. Special teams as well. Cutler is no Tom Brady who is no Peyton Manning. But that is a different discussion… (cough cough again MATT CASSEL won 11 games)
8. Baltimore (6-3) You ever get into a fight and lose and come out thinking “That wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought the bully beat down was going to be worse. Hell, I coulda won that fight.” That is what I think when I see Baltimore these days. I love Ray Lewis but he is a few years removed from “the perfect kiss” he put on Rashard Mendenhall and ended his tough runner persona. Ed Reed is tough but I don’t fear him like I used to fear him. (He will still pick 6 you though so dont anger the man) The Ravens win again… yeah yeah yeah…
7. New York Giants (6-3) The Giants are starting to get it. They better stop playing those close games though. The defense looks good at times and then they look nervous others. Figure it out and they will be tough. Those receivers running around are tough to stop. The running backs are strong and quick. Eli is …. well… the stale face.
6. Pittsburgh- (7-3) Help! Help! Someone find this guy we used to know. He played in Georgia and came to Pittsburgh and did very well. He has been Missing in Action now and I have no clue where he is. Hines Ward when we find you I promise I will be the first one to shake your hand and walk you into the retirement home. No hall of fame though, but thats ok. Thats all. WHen the defense gets healthy again they will be lower on the list.
5. Houston Texans (7-3) The Houston Texans annoy me more than anything. They look like they are finally ready to turn the corner and become winners. They are going through growing pains (cough cough Oakland) but they look better every week. They just demolished Tampa Bay and have a good system. Both Arian Foster and Ben Tate solidify the run game with Owen Daniels being a pure threat at at TE. Andre Johnson has been out of action for an eternity and they keep winning. They will need him though in order to be a true top 5 team.
4. San Francisco 49ers (8-1) I look at San Francisco and I see them winning games. Close games. I do not think that this will continue considering that they do not have as tough a schedule as I would like to see at this point. They deserve to be a top 5 team so here they are. Don’t get too happy people.
3. New England Patriots (5-3) They are currently playing the Jets as I type this but it does not matter who wins. The Patriots get a first place schedule every year and they produce. They are well coached with a very good qb and system. Tom Brady scares most people in the playoffs and that is why they are number 3 on my list.
2. New Orleans Saints – (7-3)The Saints have lost 3 games including one to the Rams, but no one is perfect. Well, only the 1972 Dolphins were perfect. The Saints can play very good football almost every week and they might actually go back to the Super Bowl. The pressure is off of them now and they are flying unbelievably low under the radar. Be aware of the Saints, especially when Mark Ingram is healthy.
1. Green Bay Packers – (8-0) They are looking very good right now. I dont know about repeating as Champs because too many things have to go right, but they look pretty good. Aaron Rodgers is playing in another solar system right now with the team to go around it. But the defense is tired. They arent making as many plays like a super bowl champion should and would. I see a trend starting.
For any comments or corrections just think about it for a second and realize… I might be more correct than you think.
the guru or just guru2u