When you move out on your own, there are many things that you would forget about in all of the craziness of moving. You may think you have everything you need but many people end up having to back to the store many many times in just the first week of living in a new apartment because they forget about important things that may seem obvious but easy to forget about. Here are some things that you may forget on your list of things you’ll need for your first apartment that you should add and where you can get them cheap since you are probably having to stick to a budget.
The bathroom is where you’ll most likely forget most of the things you’ll be needing.
1. Towels. You can find towels in dollar stores for very little money. You can also try Wal-Mart as well. If you are living alone, you won’t need too many towels. Just enough to last you between laundry days. You can also use towels two days in a row if you hang them up in your bathroom.
2. Shower curtain. You don’t need anything fancy, so a cheap plastic one will do the job.
3. Garbage can. It’s good to have a garbage in your bathroom so you aren’t tossing used toiletries on the floor or in your kitchen garbage where other’s may see.
4. Curtains. If you have a window in your bathroom, you need curtains. Again, you don’t need nice curtains, just simple blinds.
5. Floor mat. You don’t want to step out of the shower and there not be a rug, your floor will get very wet and you could slip and fall.
6. Toothbrush and toothbrush holder. It’s not good to just toss your toothbrush in a drawer where there are germs and bacteria. You should purchase a toothbrush holder that goes on your counter or a plastic toothbrush container, these are good if you are living alone and you don’t want to buy a holder that holds 4 toothbrushes.
7. Toilet brush and plunger. You can find these at dollar stores as well. You may think you don’t need these items, but you don’t want to not clean your toilet and you never know when your toilet will get clogged. Better safe than sorry.
8. Toiletries. Such as soap, shampoo, conditioner, razors, Q-tips, tissues, shaving cream, toilet paper, pads, and much more. These items can be expensive if you don’t shop for them right. Be sure that you are going to a store such as a dollar store or Wal-mart so you can find what you need while saving money.
1. Sponges & Dish rags. You can find these very cheap. Even if you have a dishwasher, you need to rinse off dishes before you put them in the dishwasher so it’s important to have sponges. You should also have a scrub brush to clean cups easier.
2. Dishes. You need more than bowls, plates, cups and silverware. You also need pots, pans, strainer, knives, and cooking utensils such as spatulas and big stirring spoons. You also need cookie sheets to cook anything in the oven such as french fries, pizza, and.. well, cookies.
3. Dish towels & a dish rack. To dry your dishes it’s important that you have a dish rack to place next to your sink. This is a much easier way to dry dishes rather than drying each one and putting them away.
4. Oven mitts. You don’t want to use towels to pull hot items out of the oven, they can move and slip. Oven mits are very important.
5. Cleaning supplies. There are a few things that you really want to have around the house for cleaning such as a broom & dustpan, paper towels, Windex or Clorox Bleach and a vacuum cleaner. You may also want to have a duster so you can get cobwebs from high corners.
6. Garbage can.
Other important items you should have around your apartment that will come in handy one way or another.
1. Small tool set. It should include the basics such as nails, screws, hammer and both a flat head and Phillips screwdriver.
2. Laundry items. You need a laundry basket and you’ll also want to buy your own laundry detergent and fabric softener.
3. Extension cords. These are more important that you think. You will need many of these around your apartment.