With Trifexis, all your dog needs is one monthly pill to prevent both heartworm and fleas. Trifexis combines spinosad (the active ingredient in Comfortis) with milbemycin oxime (the heartworm preventative found in Interceptor) and makes life easier for dog owners. Instead of giving your dog two separate pills each month, you only need to remember to give one. Trifexis is convenient, cost effective (although not inexpensive), and helps protect your pet from pesky fleas and dangerous heartworm. But it’s not just fleas and heartworm, Trifexis treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm and whipworm infections.
My Dog’s Experience
I heard that some dogs (small dogs in particular) had a hard time digesting Trifexis and spit out the drug when given (some even regurgitated it); however, my dog did not have that reaction. I believe it’s because prior to taking Trifexis, my dog was on Comfortis and was used to the active ingredient, spinosad. For dogs who were not previously on Comfortis they might not like the flavor and as such, will spit it out. When giving my dog Comfortis, I had to break it up into small pieces and hide them in peanut butter. Even then, my dog sometimes spit it out (and I had to give it to him again in even more peanut butter which fortunately did the trick). But we don’t have that problem with Trifexis. Trifexis is actually easier to give to my dog than Comfortis alone. I broke it up into two pieces (assuming he would not like the taste) and put those pieces in peanut butter, and surprisingly my dog gulped Trifexis down as if the pill was made of chicken liver.
My dog did not have any negative reactions and the flea and worm preventative works brilliantly. In fact, our veterinarian recommended Trifexis because milbemycin oxime, the heartworm preventative used in Trifexis, is actually more effective than ivermectin/pyrantel, the ingredients in Heartgard Plus. Don’t get me wrong, we never had any problems with Heartgard Plus but living in Houston (the heartworm capital), I feel better knowing my dog is on the best heartworm preventative possible.
Is Trifexis Right for Your Dog?
Trifexis is safe for use in dogs and puppies eight weeks and older as long as they weigh at least five pounds.
In a laboratory study of spinosad alone, an active ingredient of Trifexis, spinosad started to kill fleas within 30 minutes and killed 100% of the fleas within 4 hours. Trifexis kills fleas before they can lay eggs. Trifexis kills fleas before they can lay eggs when used monthly according to the label directions. Remember that all animals in the household should be treated with an approved flea product to help control the flea population. Your dog can continue to be exposed to the fleas that live in the environment. When fleas jump onto your dog, they will be killed by Trifexis. If within a month after your dog receives Trifexis you see fleas on your dog, it is most likely that these are new fleas. These new fleas will be killed before they can produce eggs that contaminate the environment. Continued monthly use of Trifexis can prevent any new infestations.
- Give your dog Trifexis with food. It will be easier to digest.
- Make sure your dog is tested for heartworm before starting your dog on Trifexis.
- If your dog currently has fleas, make sure your household and your pets are treated accordingly.
- In a laboratory study of spinosad alone, an active ingredient of Trifexis, spinosad started to kill fleas within 30 minutes and killed 100% of the fleas within 4 hours. Trifexis kills fleas before they can lay eggs.
- If for any reason your dog has missed a monthly dose of Trifexis, give your dog one Trifexis pill with food immediately and resume his monthly dosage. That way your dog’s chances of having heartworms develop will be reduced. Don’t forget to continue your dog’s monthly dosage. If you have a hard time remembering, sign up for the monthly e-mail reminder service.
- Trifexis is NOT for cats. It is approved for use in dogs only.
Elanco, the makers of Trifexis, will even send you an e-mail reminder each month so you never forget to give your dog his flea and heartworm preventative. Click here to sign up for the monthly reminder.
Elanco is offering a $10 rebate for anyone who purchases a six month supply of Trifexis. Click here for more information on the rebate.
To learn more about Trifexis contact your veterinarian or visit Trifexis.com