Erwin Solis, 22, is one of the band’s two drummers, and the twin brother of bass player Kevin Solis. He’s quiet-spoke and cerebral about his art.
Erwin talked about his bandmates and The Alternates:
* Erwin has played the drums for about seven years, but never had a lesson in his life. “When I started with the band, I didn’t know how to play drums at all.”
* Being able to perform with his brother and high school friends is a dream come true. “We hope to do this for a long time in the future,” he said.
* He views his role as essential to keeping the rhythm of the song. “The drummer is the heartbeat of the band.” The Alternates uses two drummers at the same time on stage.
* Practice and rehearsal makes performing a little easier every single time he goes out on stage. “Little by little it just becomes natural.”
* He’s been disappointed at times, and considered quitting, but it never lasted long. “There were times when I was just going to give up, but you just have to push yourself forward.”
* Erwin first performed in a school talent show. “It was my first time on stage, and I was so nervous I thought I was going to throw up.”